Young men and women under the age of 18

If you are a young woman under the age of 18, you can approach a women’s shelter or young women’s empowerment centre in your municipality. Nearly all municipalities have a women’s shelter and many have one for young women. You can contact these shelters anonymously and if you ring them, this is often free and does not show up on the telephone bill.

Many young women’s centres have an e-mail or chat facility where you can discuss things anonymously and no-one will ask you to make a report or take a position in any way. Women’s shelters and young women’s empowerment centres often also have good contact with the police and social services and know people who are good to talk to, should you wish to do so.

If you are a young man under the age of 18, you can contact a men’s shelter or young men’s emergency centre. You can ring these centres anonymously and talk about your problems with someone who will listen. It is also possible to contact someone over the Internet at or for information and support.

Authorities such as the police and social services have a duty to make a report if they become aware that a person has been subjected to a criminal act or if a person under the age of 18 has been injured in any way.

It can feel like a major step to take. It can therefore be nice to talk to someone who is not duty-bound to make a report and where you can remain anonymous, like for example a women’s shelter or young women’s empowerment centre or www.killfrågor.seIn this way you can put your ideas to the test and sort out your thoughts in peace and quiet.

Anybody may contact social services. The easiest way to do this is by ringing the municipality’s switchboard and asking for the consulting unit. When you have explained your problem, you will be allocated a time to meet with a social worker who works with sheltered accommodation for young people. Regardless of your age and gender, it is the duty of social services to help you. This also applies if you have some form of functional disability. If you do, it may be more difficult for you to leave your home and to find a new home which suits you. But you have exactly the same rights as everyone else and it is the duty of social services to ensure that you get help. If you need to move away from your family immediately, social services can offer you an emergency home. Coming to an emergency home means that you move into another family’s home which has been approved by social services as being a good home. There may be other young people in the home and it may be either a house or an apartment. While you live in the emergency home, social services investigate if the problems at your home can be solved and whether you can move back home. If the problems cannot be solved or if you have been subjected to various forms of violence or assaults, you can move to a home where you can live until you become an adult and are capable of taking care of yourself on your own. This is known as a family home.

Important Contact Information

SOS Alarm



116 111


114 14

Rädda barnen



020-50 50 50